Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Back to the Future: Vintage Stoles and Chill Chasers

Every once and awhile I browse through my mom's old pattern books. Right now I'm knitting the Multnomah Shawl and my eye was naturally drawn to the patterns for stoles and "chill-chasers". Any of you shawl knitters know the difference between the two?

This is from a 1952 magazine called "Smart Knitting". I wish I could fill out a knitted blouse like this. Oops, this is all about the stole!


The lace pattern for the stole above is quite simple. It's a repeat of  *yo, P2 tog*.


This stole is a bit more complicated, as you can tell from the face of the wearer. With this one, the knitter wraps the yarn around the needle on one row and drops it the next row to make long open  lace work. It reminds me of hairpin lace.

For 20 cents this pattern book could have been yours in the 1950s.


If only they were still that price! Oh well, enough of vintage. I better get back to the present and knit my shawl.

Happy knitting!

1 Comments:

Kate (KnitsInClass) said...

I don't know what the difference is between the two - does the chill-chaser have armholes?
Very pretty, all the same - I do love the models - they look like Barbie! (and we could all fill out blouses a little better with the armor-like underwear of the 1950s)