Thursday, October 1, 2009

Vintage Thingies Thursday: Vintage Kenmore Sewing Machine

This is a vintage 1950's Model 48 Kenmore Sewing Machine. This warhorse is a tough machine that has done everything from making Barbie doll clothes to altering kilts! It is heavy and sturdy and still sitting in its original solid wood cabinet. It's in use today. The last job it did for me was to sew the lining into one of my crochet bags.



This is the original vintage buttonholer attachment that came with the machine. The buttonhole templates fit inside the buttonholer and guide the needle around the fabric to make different sizes and shapes of buttonholes. I have used this attachment with great success!




I have never used this vintage decorative and embroidery stitch attachment which makes a variety of unique stitch patterns, as you can see if you look closely at the manual. You put the plastic discs into top of the machine. They tell the needle where to stitch. No computers here!




Finally, here is the original manual. I understand they can be hard to find. I'm very fortunate to have a such a complete package with my vintage sewing machine thanks to my Mom who gave me the machine!




I enjoyed sharing this vintage thingie with you. For more vintage thingies, visit Coloradolady for Vintage Thingies Thursday.

Happy Vintage Thingies!

4 Comments:

Lisa said...

This machine is incredible. Love all the attachments that go with it.

Ulla said...

Lovely machine! One of my sisters has our mother's old Elna from the 50's. I remember it had those plastic disks for the decorative stitches too.

AllyB said...

What a great looking machine! Gotta love the vintage machines. I've got 9 now, I think, LOL. It's great that you know the history of your machine, that makes it even more special.

williamcole said...

Did this machine come with a foot control? If so what did it look like? A friend of mine has this same machine and she is looking for a foot control.