Yeast Free Bread
Preheat your oven to 390F or 200C. Grease a 9x5 loaf tin.
3 cups (750 ml) wholewheat flour
1 tsp (5 ml) baking powder
1 tsp (5 ml) baking soda
1/4 cup (125 ml) rolled oats
2 cups (500 ml) buttermilk or 2 cups of milk soured with about 3 tbsps (45 ml) white vinegar
2 tbsps (30 ml) canola oil
If you're souring your own milk, sour it about an hour ahead of time to make sure your milk is well curdled. Sometimes, we sour our milk overnight in the fridge and bake a bread first thing in the morning.
1. Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
2. Add the oil to your buttermilk or soured milk.
3. Make a well in the center of your dry ingredients and add your liquid.
4. Mix just enough to combine.
5. Pour into your greased loaf tin.
6. Bake for 50 minutes. Remove from tin to cool on a wire rack.